Pike County Schools Counseling Program
Judith A Branham
The mission of the Pike County School District's counseling program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental program that addresses the personal/social development, academic success, and career preparation in order to promote individual well-being and to help students become productive members of society.
The Pike County School District adheres to the philosophy that the school counseling program is an essential and integral part of the overall education process. The comprehensive program is built on the foundation that certain educational, career and personal objectives are attainable when school counseling for all students is provided. This implementation acknowledges that school counseling is no longer a service to be offered by one person but a program coordinated with other resources in the school and community.
To implement the school counseling program in the Pike County School District, the counselors are committed to the following:
- All students have the right to be served by the school counseling program.
- The school counseling program should be consistent with expected developmental stages of learning.
- The school counseling program shall be managed by state certified counselors.
- The student and parent(s) are responsible for monitoring the student's educational progress with the assistance of a professional school counselor.
The school counselors believe that all students have dignity and worth. And that all counselors:
- abide by the professional ethics of guidance and counseling as advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- participate in competency renewal programs essential to maintain a quality guidance program.