Each summer, ALL 64 classrooms in the Big Sandy Area Community Action Program meet for 2 days for Professional Development and Recognition/Awards. This year, one of the Pike County Head Start classrooms,
Johns Creek B – Christa Campbell and Carolyne Coleman, was named Teaching Staff of the Year! They were chosen based on very specific criteria: Child Attendance, CLASS observation scores, Classroom Observation
by Big Sandy CAP Managers, and Record Review Results(paperwork). These ladies are a fantastic teaching duo! These ladies really do work hard to ensure that the children are happy, healthy, and learning!
In addition, the BSACAP also recognizes the TOP 10 classrooms based on CLASS scores. CLASS is the Classroom Assessment Scoring System(observation instrument) used to access classroom quality in preschool
through third-grade classrooms. Pike County had 5 of the Top 10 classrooms in the Big Sandy Area! Each classroom was awarded with a banner to display at their individual schools.
Below is a list of the Pike County Head Start classrooms that were recognized with a banner(pictures attached in the order listed):
- Johns Creek B Christa Campbell and Carolyn Coleman
- Millard C Christina Robinson and Traci Ratliff
- Southside B Cyndi Hinkle and Kristy Pinson
- Valley A Sherry Harris and Patricia Robinson
- Dorton Bernadine Davis and Melissa Wright
Lastly, Head Start staff was also recognized for Record Review(LOTS of paperwork). Pike County had 11 classrooms with fewer than 10 errors!!
Four of these classrooms were awarded with t-shirts for their hard work:
- Millard A Deana Stump, Mary Jo Thacker and Safia Sword (2 errors!)
- Elkhorn City B Tammy Wilkerson, Donna Adkins, and Teresa Thompson (3 errors)
- Southside A Tina Williamson, Sara Puckett and Bobbie Robinette (4 errors)
- Valley A Sherry Harris, Patricia Robinson, and Heather Adkins (4 errors)